Win a Copy of ‘The World’s Rarest Birds’
Gorgeous, photo-filled book highlights endangered, often unknown, birds.
We're giving away five copies of The World's Rarest Birds, Erik Hirschfeld, Andy Swash & Robert Still. To enter the giveaway, just leave a comment below, and be sure to include a viable email address (it won't show up on the page). The official rules are below. The contest ends at midnight, Friday, September 27, 2013. In the meantime, here's a review of the book, written by Emma Bryce. Good luck!
Ever wondered what a white-bellied cinclodes looked like in full display? Or just how silvery the silvery woodpigeon is? Now, a series of bold images will tell you, as Princeton University Press announces the winners of a photography competition designed to highlight the plight of endangered--and often unknown--birds.
The World's Rarest Birds, intended to support BirdLife International's Preventing Extinctions Programme. It offers a showcase of struggling birds globally--but each shot through a lens that celebrates their diversity, vibrance, elegance, and enthusiastic displays. The competition was the second of two designed to draw attention to threatened species and to fill the forthcoming book with images of their grandeur. The first was in 2010, and the latest ran in 2012, inviting applicants for two categories: critically endangered birds, and endangered birds.
For critically endangered birds, a photo of the white-bellied cinclodes took first place, showing the bird with it wings outspread, its beak opened in song (see below). It's the only known photograph of this species in display mode.
THE WORLD'S RAREST BIRDS GIVEAWAY OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1) Sponsor: Audubon Magazine, an operating unit of National Audubon Society, Inc., 225 Varick Street, New York, NY 10014 ("Audubon Magazine" or "Audubon").
2) No purchase necessary.
3) The "The World's Rarest Birds Giveaway" ("Contest") is open from 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") on September 2, 2013 through 11:59 p.m. ET on September27, 2013.
4) Eligible entrants must be at least 18 years old as of September 2, 2013 and a resident of the contiguous 48 United States. Employees, officers, and directors of Sponsor and any and all entities directly associated with the Contest, including immediate family members and members of the same household, are not eligible to participate (collectively with Sponsor, the "Contest Entities"). Void where prohibited by law. Contest is governed by U.S. law and subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. By entering the Contest, entrants agree to accept and be bound by all the terms of these Official Rules and Regulations ("Official Rules").
5) To enter leave a comment by completing the "E-mail" and "Comment" fields (the Submission") on the following article page of Audubon Magazine's website: http://mag.audubon.org/articles/birds/win-copy-world-s-rarest-birds. The "Homepage" field on such article page is optional and will have no effect on your chances. Email addresses submitted with any Submission must be valid. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify and remove any Submission and/or entrant at any time in the event of any evidence of false or deceptive acts by an entrant, including, but not limited to, multiple Submissions or Submissions reasonably suspected to be generated by script, macro or other automatic means; any Submission determined to be offensive, inappropriate, not in keeping with Sponsor's image or if it is otherwise determined that the entrant has not otherwise complied with any portion of these Official Rules.
6) Only one entry permitted per person.
7) Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received.