Win a Copy of the Gorgeous Book ‘Audubon’s Aviary’
This sumptuous new volume presents Audubon's dazzling watercolors of American birds and tells the story behind their creation.
We've teamed up with the Skira Rizzoli to give away two copies of Audubon's Aviary: The Original Watercolors for The Birds of America, by Roberta J. M. Olson. To enter the giveaway, just leave a comment below, and be sure to include a viable email address (it won't show up on the page). The official rules are below. The contest ends at midnight, Friday, November 23, 2012. In the meantime, here's a little about the magnificent book. Good luck!
It was an awe-inspiring undertaking--to capture images of all the birds of America for the first time. John James Audubon embarked upon this daunting mission in the early nineteenth century. A Haitian-born Frenchman, Audubon immigrated to America and was soon intoxicated with his newly adopted country (he became a citizen in 1812). He crisscrossed the then-young nation as an explorer, naturalist, and self-trained artist--a true pioneer and entrepreneur. Over three decades, Audubon created hundreds of watercolor paintings. He selected a final 435 of these masterworks as the models for the engraved plates of the Havell edition of The Birds of America (1827-38).
Audubon's Aviary returns to these original paintings and tells the story behind this monumental classic with new discoveries about this American icon, as well as fresh insights and engaging quotes from his own compelling writings. These powerful images--all newly photographed using state-of-the-art techniques--reveal a virtuoso talent struggling with and brilliantly overcoming challenges posed in the representation of the natural world. To that end Audubon experimented with novel techniques in modeling, collaging, and mixing media. In comparison with the later prints, these fresh watercolors possess a startling immediacy, vibrancy, and fluidity. They illuminate Audubon's genius, which linked natural history, art, and a respect for the environment. This volume reproduces for the first time all 474 Audubon avian watercolors in the collection of the New-York Historical Society.
(c) AUDUBON'S AVIARY: The Original Watercolors for The Birds of America, by Roberta J. M. Olson, Skira Rizzoli, 2012.
AUDBON'S AVIARY GIVEAWAY OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1) Sponsors: Audubon Magazine, an operating unit of National Audubon Society, Inc., 225 Varick Street, New York, NY 10014 ("Audubon Magazine" or "Audubon"); and Skira Rizzoli, 300 Park Avenue South, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10010 (and together with Audubon and Audubon Magazine, the "Sponsors").
2) No purchase necessary.
3) The "Audubon's Aviary Giveaway" ("Contest") is open from 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time ("ET") on October 29, 2012 through 11:59 p.m. ET on November 23, 2012;
4) Eligible entrants must be at least 18 years old as of October 29, 2012, a resident of the contiguous 48 United States. Employees, officers, and directors of Sponsors, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, and any and all entities directly associated with the Contest, including immediate family members and members of the same household, are not eligible to participate (collectively with Sponsor, the "Contest Entities"). Void where prohibited by law. Contest is governed by U.S. law and subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. By entering the Contest, entrants agree to accept and be bound by all the terms of these Official Rules and Regulations ("Official Rules").
5) To enter leave a comment by completing the "Your name", "E-mail" and "Comment" fields (the Submission") on the following article page of Audubon Magazine's website: http://mag.audubon.org/articles/birds/win-copy-gorgeous-book-audubon-s-aviary. The "Homepage" field on such article page is optional and will have no effect on your chances. Email addresses submitted with any Submission must be valid. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify and remove any Submission at any time in the event it is determined Submission is offensive, inappropriate, not in keeping with Sponsor's image or if it is determined that the entrant has not otherwise complied with any portion of these Official Rules.
6) Only one entry permitted per person.
7) Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received.
8) Two winners will each receive one copy of the book Audubon's Aviary: The Original Watercolors for The Birds of America, by Roberta Olson and The NY Historical Society, Skira Rizzoli 2012 (value: $85) (Total value of all prizes: $170).
9) Winners will be selected by a random drawing conducted by Skira Rizzoli and notified by Skira Rizzoli via email on or before November 30, 2012. By entering the Contest, entrant acknowledges that Audubon shall deliver entrant's name, email and postal address, if any, to Skira Rizzoli, and entrant consents to all actions related thereto. SR will use entrant information only to fulfill the Sponsors' contest obligations, including, but not limited contacting winners, and for no other purpose
10) Sponsors are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, viruses, bugs, malfunctions, or other any other errors, human or otherwise, regardless of the cause (collectively, an "Error"). In the event of any Error, Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion to discontinue, suspend, cancel, or modify the Contest. In the event of cancellation, Sponsors reserve the right to judge all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the Error requiring such cancellation using the selection procedure outlined above. Sponsors, joint and severally, reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any entrant at any time in the event of any evidence of false or deceptive acts by an entrant, including, but not limited to, multiple Submissions or Submissions generated by script, macro or other automatic means; any Submission determined to be offensive, inappropriate or not in keeping with Sponsors' image; or failure to otherwise comply with these Official Rules. Prize is subject to availability. No substitution or transfer of prizes or cash redemptions permitted, except at Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute for any reason whatsoever a prize (or portion thereof) of comparable or greater value, at their sole discretion. Sponsors do not have, nor shall have in the future, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of any copyright in and to entrant's Submission. Winners are responsible for the reporting and payment of all taxes as well as any other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of their prize not specified herein as being awarded.
11) Contest Entities and their designees have the right, unless prohibited by law, to use entrant's name, city and state of residence, voice, picture and likeness, without compensation, notification or approval, for the purpose of advertising and publicizing the goods, services and mission of the Contest Entities and all matters related to the Contest, in any manner or medium, now or hereafter known, throughout the world in perpetuity.
12) Entrants may be required to execute any documents necessary to perfect such rights in the Sponsors. By entering this Contest and/or accepting the prize, entrant and/or winner agrees to, and hereby does, release the Contest Entities from any and all liability, loss or damage arising from or in connection with participation or attempt to participate in the Contest and/or the awarding, receipt, use or misuse of the prize or participation in any prize related activities, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. The Contest Entities and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and divisions, and their respective directors, officers, employees, attorneys, representatives and agents make no warranties, and hereby disclaim all warranties, express or implied, concerning any prize furnished or awarded in connection with the Contest, including, but not limited to, any winner's ability to claim a prize awarded in the Contest for reasons of the prize provider's bankruptcy, insolvency or failure to continue its business. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, SUCH PRIZES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND THE CONTEST ENTITIES HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND/OR NONINFRINGEMENT.
13) You may obtain the name and city of residence of winners by mailing a self-addressed stamped envelope to Audubon's Aviary Giveaway, c/o Publicity Department, Skira Rizzoli, 300 Park Avenue South, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10010.